First built at the end of the 16th century and originally known as the Senate and Municipal Council, it was Macao’s first municipal chamber, a function it maintains to the present. The complex was deteriorated due to storms and went through several renovations. Its current appearance is the result of renovation in 1940. Throughout the past centuries, the building had served as municipal office, museum, post office, health centre, court and prison in different times. Many historical stone inscriptions and carving on the wall tell the stories of its past. Inside the building on the first floor there is a ceremonial meeting room that opens onto an elaborate carved library and a small chapel. Building is neo-classical in design and has retained all its original master walls and primary layout, including the Portuguese courtyard garden in the back.